Chirpan is located 51 km east of Plovdiv. The current city arose in the 17th century. under the name Jerpan. In the era of the Bulgarian National Revival (XVIII – XIX centuries), the village took shape as an urban-type settlement with well-developed agriculture and crafts. After the Liberation from Ottoman rule, crafts fell into decline due to lost markets, but viticulture and winemaking began to develop.
The natives of Chirpan are the Bulgarian lyric poet and revolutionary Peyu Kracholov Yavorov, the artist Georgi Danchov-Zographina; artist Nikola Manev, known far beyond the borders of Bulgaria; poet Dimitar Danailov. Their houses-museums are organized in the city. In the house-museum of Yavorov among the preserved things are the poet’s inkwell and clock, as well as part of his library. The Danchov House, located in the center of the city, is an example of the architecture of the Bulgarian National Revival era. It is currently a restaurant serving national cuisine. Other city houses worth noting are Tyankov and Manchev. Both were built during the era of the Bulgarian National Revival. One of the few original horse-driven windmills in Bulgaria has been preserved in Mancheva House. In one of the most interesting buildings of the early twentieth century. now housing Bulbank.
One of the oldest churches in Chirpan is the Church of the Holy Virgin, built in 1846. Remains of a Roman fortress have been preserved 8 km northeast of Chirpan. Merichleri balneological resort is located 17 kilometers southeast of the city, whose mineral water with a temperature of +34 o C treats gastrointestinal, biliary and liver diseases. In the center of the village of Granit, 20 km northwest of the city, there is a granite oak – the oldest tree in Bulgaria. Its age is over 1600 years. Yagach hunting park is located 30 km northwest of Chirpan – a great place for recreation, sports and hunting.
According to lawfaqs, Shabla is located 66 km north of Varna near the Romanian border. In the past, there was an ancient Thracian settlement on this site, then a Greek colony, and even later, the Roman city of Karia with a pier was built near Cape Shabla. In the early Byzantine era, a lively trade was in full swing here and crafts flourished. Later, the city fell into decay and remained only a fishing village.
Shabla is a resort place. Its beach is clean and pleasant to relax.
Of the attractions in the city, it is worth noting the old house of culture, a museum and an art gallery. Archaeological excavations are located 5 km east of Shabla on the cape. This is the most interesting object for visitors to the city. Here you can clearly see the foundations of an ancient Roman fortress, which, despite being very small, was an important trading place with other marinas. Shabla Lake
is located 3 kilometers from the city – a wonderful place for recreation and fishing. Over 100,000 wild geese nest here. 20 km north of Shabla is Durankulashskoe swamp, known as a reserve for many marsh birds, some of which are recorded in the Red Book of Species in Bulgaria. On a large island in a swamp, the remains of a large Eneolithic settlement were found, as well as many valuable finds from different periods of human civilization. There is also a camping site here. Not far from Shabla there is a yacht club, from where yacht regattas start annually along the Black Sea coast.
On May 24, a great festival of folk art is held in Shabla with songs, dances and an exhibition of handicrafts.