VINA DEL MAR, CHILE
The Universidad de Viña del Mar, founded in 1988, is an independent private university in the Chilean city of Viña del Mar. The UVM sees its task in providing its students with a comprehensive and high-quality education and thereby optimally preparing them for the upcoming challenges in a globalized world. Check gradinmath for more universities.
For this purpose, both theoretical and practical knowledge should be imparted. The UVM offers a wide range of courses, including in the fields of agricultural sciences, architecture, design, business administration, communication sciences, education and teaching, engineering, law, social sciences and veterinary medicine.
International students at the UVM have the opportunity to complete one or two semesters abroad and to take a Spanish course .
- University of Viña del Mar website
Year of foundation: 1988
University Type: Private University
Number of students: Total 7000
- CNA (Comisión Nacional de Acreditación)
The academic year at the Universidad de Viña del Mar is divided into two semesters.
- semester abroad
- language courses
The semester program of the Universidad de Viña del Mar (UVM) enables international students to study at the UVM for one or two semesters and to take courses from the regular courses offered by the university together with the Chilean students.
There are two semester programs at the UVM: Applicants with a good knowledge of Spanish can take part in the Spanish-language semester program and, depending on their previous knowledge, take courses from the courses offered at the UVM across semesters and subjects. The courses are usually at bachelor level.
If you speak little or no Spanish, you can take part in the English-language semester program. In this case, however, the range of courses is reduced – around 25 courses in the humanities and social sciences as well as in business administrationare offered every semester. These courses are also at bachelor level.
In addition, semester students can also take special language and cultural studies courses for international students through the Spanish Center, which are taught in Spanish.
- Semester programs of the Universidad de Viña del Mar
- Semester 2 (English language courses) 2022
Tuition (courses in English)
Tuition (courses in Spanish)
The fees differ depending on whether you are participating in the Spanish or English language semester program.
As part of the virtual semester in autumn 2021, individual courses can be taken in addition to the complete semester program. The cost is USD 500 per Spanish language course and USD 650 per English language course.
- Tuition fees of the Universidad Vina del Mar
Students can apply for foreign BAföG for their semester abroad at the Universidad de Vina del Mar. As a rule, they have to study there for a total of at least one semester. The Auslands-BAföG includes a subsidy towards tuition fees of up to EUR 4,600 as well as financial support for travel expenses, living expenses and health insurance costs, provided that individual entitlement to funding is determined.
Applicants for the UVM semester program must have the Abitur or Fachabitur.
A language level of at least B2 is usually required for participation in the Spanish-language semester program. However, this does not have to be proven in advance. Applicants who have chosen the Spanish-language program take part in an on-site placement test, which is used to decide whether they will be admitted to the regular courses offered by the university.
A language level of B2 is also required to attend English-language courses. A DAAD language test is sufficient as proof.
The language skills can be proven by one of the following test results or documents:
|DAAD language test
Degrees/Courses in English – Undergraduate
- Environmental Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Politics and Human Rights in Latin America
- Social Sciences
Degrees/Courses in Spanish – Undergraduate
- Licenciado en Administration de Negocios Turísticos y Hoteleros
- Licenciado en Arquitectura
- Licenciado en Artes de la Communication Audiovisual – Cine y Communication Audiovisual
- Licenciado en Ciencias Agrícolas – Agronomía
- Licenciado en Sciences de la Construcción – Ingeniería en Construcción
- Licenciado en Ciencias de la Ingeniería – Ingeniería Civil en Minas
- Licenciado en Ciencias de la Ingeniería – Ingeniería Civil Industrial
- Licenciado en Ciencias de la Ingeniería – Ingeniería Civil Informática
- Licenciado en Sciences de la Odontología
- Licenciado en Ciencias del Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales – Ingeniería en Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales
- Licenciado en Sciences en la Administración de Empresas – Ingeniería Comercial
- Licenciado en Ciencias Juridicas
- Licenciado en Ciencias Veterinarias
- Licenciado en Comunicación Organizacional – Relaciones Públicas
- Licenciado en Comunicación Social – Periodismo
- Licenciado en Contabilidad y Tributación – Contador Auditor
- Licenciado en Diseño – Diseño Mención Gráfica
- Licenciado en Educación – Basic Education
- Licenciado en Education – Education Parvularia
- Licenciado en Educación – Pedagogía en Artes Visuales
- Licenciado en Educación – Pedagogía en Educación Física
- Licenciado en Educación – Pedagogía en Historia y Ciencias Sociales
- Licenciado en Educación – Pedagogía en Inglés
- Licenciado en Educación – Pedagogía en Lenguaje y Literatura
- Licenciado en Enfermeria
- Licenciado en Fonoaudiología
- Licenciado en Kinesiología
- Licenciado en Negocios Internacionales – Ingeniería en Gestión de Negocios Internacionales
- Licenciado en Nutricion y Dietética
- Licenciado en Prevención de Riesgos – Ingeniería en Prevención de Riesgos
- Licenciado en Psicología
- Licenciado en Psicopedagogía
- Licenciado en Tecnología Médica
- Licenciado en Terapia Ocupacional
- Licenciado en Trabajo Social
The Universidad de Viña del Mar has several campuses inside and outside the city of Viña del Mar. The main campus of the university is located in the higher part of the city of Viña del Mar, covering a total area of over 20 hectares.
The university campus is conveniently located on one of the main access roads to Viña del Mar, the “Ruta 66”, and is therefore only a few minutes from the city center. Almost all university facilities are located on the large and very well-structured campus.
According to the Universidad de Viña del Mar, this new campus, construction of which began in 2002 and inaugurated in 2004, is comparable to those of other universities in Asia, North America and Europe and similarly modern in equipment and design.
Within Viña del Mar there are other smaller locations where various UVM facilities and departments are located. For example, at the “Agua Santa” location, which is very central and in the immediate vicinity of the coast, there are, among other things, the Arquitectura, Arte y Diseño and Derecho departments.
The only campus outside of Viña del Mar is in San Felipe, but only houses a small part of the study programs such as Carreras Profesionales, Carreras Tecnológicas and Programas de Continuidad de Estudios.
At the Universidad de Viña del Mar, international students have the opportunity to stay with a host family and can experience everyday life in Chile directly.
The following accommodation options are available:
- Private apartments / hotels
- guest families
The university town of Viña del Mar
The Chilean coastal town of Viña del Mar, in English “vineyard by the sea”, has around 290,000 inhabitants and is located directly on the Pacific Ocean. Viña del Mar is also known in Chile as La Ciudad Jardin, the Garden City, due to the numerous parks spread throughout the city. Together with the city of Valparaiso, which lies in the same bay and directly adjoins Viña del Mar, and the catchment area around the two cities, over 800,000 people live in the region. This is the second largest metropolitan area in Chile and therefore one of the main destinations for tourists looking for a beach holiday, as Viña del Mar and Valparaiso have more than enough beaches. But Viña del Mar also has a lot to offer apart from the beach holiday. The city is home to the oldest and most visited casino in Chile, which was luxuriously designed in the “Art Deco” style, but there are also some historic buildings such as the Palacio Rioja, the Palacio Brunet or the buildings in the old town that are worth seeing. The “Castillo Presidential” which is located on the “Cerro Castillo”, a hill, is the summer residence of the Chilean President and is also worth seeing. Once a year the “Festival Internacional de la Canción de Viña del Mar” takes place, a large music festival, and the city also hosts an ATP tennis tournament.