According to allcitycodes, Tsaile, Arizona is a small town situated in the northern part of the state. It is located in Apache County and is a part of the Navajo Nation. The geography of Tsaile is characterized by rolling hills, mesas, and red-rock formations. The area has an average elevation of 5,000 feet and receives an average of ten inches of precipitation annually. Summers are hot and dry with temperatures reaching up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit while winters are mild with temperatures averaging between 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Tsaile dates back to the late 1800s when it was inhabited by members of the Navajo tribe who were looking for a place to settle down and raise their families. The town was officially established in 1925 when it was granted a post office by the United States Postal Service. During this time, it was also designated as the seat for Apache County’s government offices.
In terms of politics, Tsaile is governed by a local council that consists of six members elected to four-year terms by residents within the area. The council works closely with tribal officials from nearby reservations to ensure that all citizens have access to necessary services such as healthcare and education.
The economy in Tsaile relies heavily on tourism due to its close proximity to Monument Valley Tribal Park and Canyon de Chelly National Monument. There are also several businesses in town such as convenience stores, restaurants, hotels, and art galleries that cater to visitors coming from all over the world.
Education wise, there are two schools located within Tsaile: Chinle Elementary School and Chinle High School which serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade respectively. Both schools are part of the Window Rock Unified School District which provides additional support for students in areas such as English language arts, math, science, social studies, physical education/health education/fine arts/music/drama/and technology education among others.
When it comes to landmarks in Tsaile there are several places worth visiting including: Monument Valley Tribal Park which features stunning scenery; Canyon de Chelly National Monument which offers sweeping views from its overlooks; Spider Rock which stands at 880 feet tall; Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site where visitors can shop for traditional Native American crafts; and Red Lake Trading Post where visitors can purchase various souvenirs including jewelry made out of turquoise stones found only in Arizona’s high desert region
Males: 507 (47.0%), Females: 571 (53.0%)
Zip code: 86556
Median resident age: 21.7 years
Median household income: $17,500
Median house value: $62,700
Races in Tsaile:
- American Indian (95.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (3.6%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (2.2%).
Land area: 6.0 square miles
Tsaile, Arizona is a small community located in the Navajo Nation. According to the 2010 census, Tsaile had a population of 1,218. The majority of residents are Native American, making up 83% of the population. The other 17% of residents are mostly Caucasian and Hispanic. The median age in Tsaile is 25, much younger than the national average which is 37. Other than Native Americans, most people in Tsaile are under the age of 18.
The majority of households in Tsaile have an annual income below $25,000 per year and about half receive some form of public assistance. Unemployment rates in Tsaile are higher than average for both Native Americans and non-Native Americans alike. Education levels vary greatly; approximately half of all adults over 25 years old have not completed high school or received their GEDs.
The town has limited resources with no major grocery store and only one gas station in town limits. Most goods must be purchased from stores located outside of town limits or from vendors who come into town periodically to sell goods to local residents. There are two schools within the town limits; one elementary school and one middle/high school that serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade. Despite limited resources, residents maintain a strong sense of community and value their traditional Navajo cultural practices as part of everyday life such as storytelling, dancing, singing and crafts-making which help to keep these traditions alive for future generations to come.
For population 25 years and over in Tsaile
- High school or higher: 62.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 38.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tsaile CDP
- Never married: 47.6%
- Now married: 42.4%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 1.9%
- Divorced: 5.2%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Tsaile:
- CHINLE COMPREHENSIVE CARE FACILITY (about 30 miles; CHINLE, AZ)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 37 miles; FORT DEFIANCE, AZ)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 43 miles; SHIPROCK, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tsaile:
- FOUR CORNERS REGIONAL (about 76 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Abbreviation: FMN)
- CORTEZ MUNI (about 81 miles; CORTEZ, CO; Abbreviation: CEZ)
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 118 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: DRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tsaile:
- CHINLE MUNI (about 28 miles; CHINLE, AZ; Abbreviation: E91)
- SHIPROCK AIRSTRIP (about 45 miles; SHIPROCK, NM; Abbreviation: 5V5)
- GANADO (about 46 miles; GANADO, AZ; Abbreviation: 85V)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Tsaile:
- DIN-E COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 992; Public; Website: crystal.ncc.cc.nm.us)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tsaile:
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 82 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- NORTHLAND PIONEER COLLEGE (about 114 miles; HOLBROOK, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,177)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 117 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 196 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 197 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 199 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 200 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
Public primary/middle schools in Tsaile:
- TSAILE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 381; Location: NAVAJO RT 12 AND JCT. HWY 64; Grades: KG – 08)
- INTERNATIONAL COMMERCE INSTITUTE – TSAILE (Students: 54; Location: DINE COLLEGE, BUILDING AJ; Grades: UG – UG)