The White house
The White House, located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC, has been the official residence of the President of the United States since 1800.
In the nineties of the XVIII century, when the active construction of the future capital of the United States began, one of the first began to build a mansion for the head of the executive branch of the state. The cornerstone of the “President’s House” was laid on October 13, 1792.
The mansion was built according to the project of architect James Hoban (moreover, George Washington himself chose it) in the neoclassical (Palladian) style from sandstone, which was mined in the quarries of Virginia and was widely used for the construction of buildings in the capital. Sandstone is a porous material, and when completed, the walls were coated with a mixture of lime, rice glue, casein, and lead, giving the building its color (and giving it its world-famous name). Construction lasted eight years and cost the US government $232,000.
On November 1, 1800, the second President of the United States, John Adams, moved into the new house. Adams wrote to his wife about the new house: “I pray for the blessing of this house, all its future residents, and that only honest and wise people rule under this roof.” These words of John Adams were later carved on the mantelpiece in the White House Grand Dining Room.
At first, the new building was called the “Palace of the President”, “Presidential Mansion” or “House of the President”. But already in 1811 it was spoken of as the “White House”. The 26th US President Theodore Roosevelt was the first to use the name “White House” as an official name.
The White House has been repeatedly rebuilt and reconstructed. In 1801, when the third US President Thomas Jefferson moved into the White House, the architect Henry Latrobe expanded the building by completing two porticoes – the East and West colonnades.
During the Anglo-American War of 1812-15, or rather on August 24, 1814, the White House, like many other buildings in Washington, was set on fire by soldiers of the British army. The presidential residence was badly damaged, the interiors were completely destroyed. Restoration work began almost immediately, and already in October 1817, the fifth President of the United States, James Monroe, entered the White House.
In 1824, the southern portico was completed, and six years later, the northern portico. By the middle of the 19th century, the White House had become too small to accommodate the presidential family and administration, and proposals were repeatedly made for its reconstruction or even the construction of a new residence. But it was not until 1901, when Theodore Roosevelt was President of the United States, that the West Wing was added to the White House to house the staff. At the same time, the first, small, East Wing was built, which served as an entrance for guests during various events. In 1909, William Taft expanded the West Wing of the White House, at the same time the first Oval Office was created. In the 1930s, Franklin Roosevelt moved the Oval Office to its current location.