The TOEFL iBT test is offered in the state of California. The list below shows testing locations for computer based TOEFL exam. Please scroll down to find the most up-to-date list of available test centers (including addresses) in California.
- ETS – CA.STATE UNIV/FRESNO – APCN-7719
5300 N. Campus Drive, Family & Food Sciences Rm 110,
Fresno, California 93740 United States
- Fresno, CA – APCN-5152
2540 W Shaw Lane, Suite 110a,
Fresno, California 93711 United States
- Bakersfield CA – APCN-0544
1800 30th Street – Westchester Corp Plaza, Suite 360,
Bakersfield, California 93301 United States
California Area Codes
Short for CA, California was admitted to United States on 09.09.1850. The capital city is Sacramento. With an area of 423,970 km², California has a population of 39.250.017. The population density is 92.58 people per km². According to ALLCITYCODES, California has 34 area codes: 209, 213, 279, 310, 323, 408, 415, 424, 442, 510, 530, 559, 562, 619, 626, 628, 650, 657, 661, 669, 707, 714, 747, 760, 805, 818, 820, 831, 858, 909, 916, 925, 949, 951. If you need to call your testing center, please be sure to add such an area code before phone number you are given.
The influence of Mexico
Like almost all parts of the USA, the history of California is shaped by various cultural groups that have settled in this area again and again. Before the first European arrival in the 16th century, over 70 different Indian tribes lived in what is now California. With the beginning of the colonial era, however, the Spanish claimed Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo in 1542 and the English with Sir Francis Drake in 1579, claiming the beautiful area in western America. After all, California was part of Spanish colonial rule from 1769. Missionary sites were built under the Franciscan Junipero Serra: This was intended to convert the Indians to Christianity through Franciscan monks and to make known the ownership of the Pacific coast to the Spanish Crown. These mission sites have been preserved to this day and are an attractive sightseeing destination for many tourists. In addition to the mission sites, Europeans are also starting to build civil settlements and military fortifications. After Mexico’s independence in 1821, the area was claimed by the Mexicans and consequently became a Mexican province. This creates a hostility between Mexicans and Americans that lasted for several decades. After the Californians declared independence and the USA declared war on the Mexicans, they were forced to withdraw from California as well as from the other occupied states of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.
Finally, in 1850, California became the 31st state to join the United States.
- California state area – 423,970 km 2 (3rd place in the USA)
- California State Length:
- from north to south – 1240 km
- from east to west – 400 km
- California Region – US Pacific States
- The highest point in California is 4,421 meters above sea level.
- The lowest point in California is 86 meters below sea level.
- California state abbreviation – CA
- The state capital of California is Sacramento
- The largest city in California is Los Angeles
- Date of formation of the state of California – September 9, 1850 (31st in the USA)
- The population of the state of California is about 37,250,000 people (1st place in the USA)
- The population density in the state of California is 91 people per km 2 (11th place in the USA)
- California State Motto – Eureka
- California’s nickname is the “Golden State”
California state name
The name “California” comes from the name of the province of Las Californias of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, a Spanish colony in North America, part of which is the modern US state of California (as well as the states of Nevada, Arizona, Utahand Wyoming).
In turn, the Spanish province got its name from the island of California, invented by the Spanish writer Garci Rodriguez de Montalvo and described around 1500 in his novel The Acts of Esplandiana. This mythical island “is located to the east of the Asian mainland, very close to the earthly paradise, and is inhabited by black Amazons living under the rule of Queen Califia.”
There is also a version about the origin of the name of the state of California from the Catalan (one of the languages of Spain) words cal (hot) and forn (oven), that is, “a place where it is hot, like in an oven.”
California state symbols
- California State Tree – Sequoia (Sequoia sempervirens)
- California State Flower – California poppy (Eschscholzia californica, California poppy)
- The California state animal is the grizzly bear (Ursus arctos horribilis)
- The California state bird is the California crested quail (Callipepla californica)
- California state fish – golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita)
- California state butterfly – Zerene eurydice
- California State Gem Benitoite
- California state mineral – native gold
- The California state drink is wine
- California State Dance – West Coast Swing
- California state colors are blue and gold