Salt Lake City and County Government Building

By | June 16, 2022

The building of the government of the city and county of Salt Lake City (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.

The Salt Lake City and County Government Building was built by freemasons between 1891 and 1894. and replaced the old council and county courthouse. At the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. this building was a symbol of all non-Mormons ideologically opposed to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The builders pursued the task of challenging the right of the imposing Salt Lake Temple to architectural dominance in the city. Therefore, some elements of the building obviously imitate the spiers of the temple and the statue of the angel Moroni.  See citypopulationreview for state facts, symbols and history of Oklahoma.

Construction of the building began in 1890. Its architectural style was declared “Richardsonian Romanesque”. After completion in 1896, the building served as the State Capitol until the current Capitol was completed. And from 1973 to 1989, large-scale renovation and restoration work was in full swing in the building, during which the foundation was replaced with a more earthquake-resistant one.

The facade of the building is finished in gray sandstone, richly decorated with carved decorative elements (which, of course, cannot be compared with the Salt Lake Temple).

Perhaps the most notable detail of the structure is the 78 m high central clock tower topped by a statue of Columbia. The south wing is decorated with a bronze statue of Justice (originally there were also Commerce and Freedom, but after the 1934 earthquake they were moved to the roof).

The facade of the building is finished in gray sandstone, richly decorated with carved decorative elements (which, of course, cannot be compared with the Salt Lake Temple). So, to the right of the south entrance, you can see a portrait of Father De Smet, a Jesuit priest who converted the Indians, and to the left, Captain Garcia Lopez de Cardenas, who discovered Southern Utah in 1540. Above the granite columns on the west and east sides of the building, you can see carved images of pioneer women. Also, portraits of significant historical figures adorn the areas between the portal and the balcony, above the main entrance and the northern part of the building. In addition to the above, you can see gargoyles, eagles, sea monsters, bee hives, Masonic symbols, images of the sun, etc. on the building.

The interior of the building is also very attractive. There are more than 100 halls on five floors. The floors of each hall are lined with onyx inserts. And on the third floor there is an exhibition dedicated to the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

The government building, which alone stands in the center of Washington Square, takes up relatively little space in this square of traditional Salt Lake City development of 4 hectares. Everything else is trees, paths and statues that turn the quarter into a small park. Fairs, concerts and other events often take place here.

Practical Information

The government building is located between State Street, Second East, Fort South, and Fifth South. This block is called Washington Square.

Memorial Park “This is the place”

This is the Place Memorial Park (Salt Lake City, USA): detailed description, address and photo. Opportunities for sports and recreation, infrastructure, cafes and restaurants in the park. Reviews of tourists.

Memorial Park “This is the place” is located in the eastern part of the city, at the foot of the mountain range and near the beginning of the Emigration Canyon. It was here that in 1847 Briam Young first saw the Salt Lake Valley, which soon became the new home of the Mormon settlers. Members of the LDS church believed that Yang had a vision in which he saw this place where the believers were to settle, establish their own Desert State, and “make the desert bloom like a rose.” According to legend, Young saw the canyon and said, “That’s enough. This is the place.”

In 1917, a group of Boy Scouts erected a wooden pole at the very spot where Young’s group of pioneers had entered the valley. In 1921, the sign was replaced by a white stone obelisk, which can still be seen from the east side of the modern monument. The latter began to be erected in 1937, and the sculptor Mayonri Young, the grandson of the famous pioneer, was hired for this. In 1947, on the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Mormons in the valley, the monument was unveiled.

The Emery County Cabin is one of the last remaining post-settler buildings in the United States. It was built in 1879.

The Memorial Village began construction in 1959 with a small visitor center at the monument. It was decorated with a large mural painted by local artist Lynn Fawcett. In 1971, funds were allocated for the construction of the complex, and the park gradually grew to an area of ​​1.8 square meters. km. Restoration and copying of the state’s historic buildings began in 1975. Briam Young’s Timber Farm was moved from the Forest Date area to here and restored, and five original pioneer homes were added in 1979. Then came a replica of the original Assembly Hall located in downtown, two half-timbered houses, a wooden hut, a forge, etc.

The last works to expand the park took place at the beginning of the 21st century. A shoe store, John Pack and William Atkin’s houses, Briam Young Academy, Iber Kimbell’s house, Madsen’s furniture store and Deseret Hospital were built here.

The Emery County Cabin is one of the last remaining post-settler buildings in the United States. It was built in 1879 and became the official home of the Muddy Creek (now Emery) postal service in the 1880s. It was opened to the public in the park in 2009: an exhibition dedicated to the American Indians was placed in the hut.

To create a complete impression, two copies of the old trains that carry visitors today were commissioned. In addition, the park has a corral where domestic animals live.

Practical Information

Address: Sunnyside ave, 2601 E.

The park, located on the east side of the city, can be reached along Sunnyside Avenue.

Salt Lake City and County Government Building