The city of Silistra is located on the Dobrudzha Plain on the banks of the Danube River, 143 km northwest of Varna. It is located on the site of a Roman fortress founded by Emperor Troyan. The city that arose at that time was called Durostorum. In 169, during the reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Durostorum became a municipality – an independent city. It was one of the earliest centers for the spread of Christianity. After the adoption of Christianity, the city became the main religious center in the country. During the Byzantine rule, it was the center of the Danube region. Today Silistra is a lively commercial and cultural center. Several ancient monuments have been preserved in Silistra. In the Roman necropolis Emperor Probus was buried with his horses and chariot, from which many valuable applications of electron (an alloy of gold and platinum) have been preserved. In different parts of the city, parts of an ancient Roman fortress and border structures were discovered . In the southeastern part of the city, in 1942, a Roman tomb of the 4th century was discovered with interesting paintings.
Not far from the city there is a rich archaeological museum. Srebarna Biosphere Reserve is located 16 km west of Silistra.. The territory of the reserve covers Lake Srebarna and part of the slopes that enclose the banks of the Danube. The total area of protected lands is 600 ha. The outskirts of the lake are reed and reed thickets, in which there are about 150 species of marsh birds (the only colony in Bulgaria of curly-headed pelicans, black water hens, water swallows, white herons, brilliant ibises, wild geese, wild ducks, etc.). Also, 6 species of fish, turtles, snakes live here. As a natural heritage of world importance, the Srebarna Nature Reserve is under the protection of UNESCO.
Svilengrad is located on both banks of the Maritsa River, in close proximity to the place where three state borders meet – Bulgarian, Greek and Turkish. It is located 150 km southeast of Plovdiv. Svilengrad is the gateway to Bulgaria.
The appearance of the present city was formed in the 15th century. Svilengrad grew up near the famous Mustafa Pasha Bridge. The bridge is 300 m long, 6 km wide and has 20 arches. It is considered one of the finest bridges in Southeast Europe of that era. There are many Thracian burial mounds 7 kilometers southwest of the city in the village of Mezek, and the ruins of the Mezek fortress Neutzikon rise above the village (XI – XII centuries) in the form of an irregular polygon 30 km northeast of Svilengrad, near the villages of Matochina and Mihalich, there is a tower of the XII – XIII centuries. and rock churches of the 10th century.
Sunny Beach (Bulgaria)
Sunny Beach is the largest resort in Bulgaria with a wide strip of beach. It is located on the Stara Planina Ridge away from highways and railway lines and far from big cities. For the creation of a favorable ecological environment, the resort received the international Blue Flag award.
Sunny Beach is an ideal place for a family vacation with a shallow sea near the shore, fine sand and excellent infrastructure. Since 2003, an Aquapark has been opened here, which contains a variety of water attractions for every taste and for every age. The beach is enclosed by a natural strip of sand dunes. All kinds of sports are available here: surfing, water skiing, parasailing, sailing, hang gliding, boats, scooters, tennis, volleyball, skittles, bowling, fitness.
Numerous excursions around the country and abroad are organized from the city. The ancient city of Nessebar, famous for its archaeological sites, adjoins the northern part of the resort.
Sopot is a small town in the Rose Valley, 60 km north of Plovdiv. Sopot is primarily the birthplace of Ivan Vazov, the patriarch of Bulgarian literature. His house-museum is located on the central city square. A special exhibition hall was built near the house, where the main moments of the poet’s social and literary activities are shown. A monument has also been erected on the square. To the north of the central square is the Maiden Compound Introduction of the Virgin, founded in 1665. In 1877 it almost completely burned down. Only the gallery where the Apostle Levski was hiding, a small church and a cheshma in the middle of the courtyard survived in their original form. All other buildings were recreated in their original form.
Sopot Monastery of the Holy Savior is located 2 km west of the center. The monastery stands directly at the foot of the slopes of the Stara Planina Mountains, on the left bank of the Manastyrska River. The date of its foundation is unknown. The monastery was repeatedly devastated and set on fire; the monastery has been in its present form since 1879. Nearby is the starting station of the cable car.
Cherni Vrah, Vitosha (Bulgaria)
According to usvsukenglish, Cherni Vrah is the highest point of the Vitosha mountain range; its height is 2290 m. Cherni Vrah is located 20 km north of Sofia, you can get to this place by city bus. In summer, the slopes of the mountain are a popular place for picnics and walks. On the slope of the mountain at an altitude of 1800 m is the Vitosha ski resort. This place is not as popular as Borovets, Bansko and Pamporovo so it is rare to meet foreigners here. The height of the slopes in the resort ranges from 1500 to 2280 m, the total length of the marked trails is 29 km, and the length of the longest trail is 5 km. Among the tracks – 2 green, 4 blue, 6 red and 1 black. There is 1 gondola lift, 2 chairlifts and 9 drag lifts.