Israel Energy Self-sufficiency and Water Issue

By | December 22, 2021

Israel towards energy self-sufficiency

March 29, 2013 was in its own way a historic date for Israel. After five years of underwater exploration in the Levant Sea, the Jewish state has started the off-shore gas site Tamar. Israel is, in fact, a country traditionally lacking in energy resources and heavily dependent on the region’s hydrocarbons, but the discovery of these abundant sources of underwater gas and oil could grant the nation an unexpected energy independence. A thesis supported by the entire Israeli government that has made great efforts to achieve this strategic goal, as evidenced by the law of 23 June 2013 which established that until 2040 Israel will use 40% of its gas production for exports, keeping the remaining 60% to cover national needs. The self-sufficient energy supply will lead to annual savings of 3.6 billion dollars on the national bill and investments of 3.5 billion dollars. A significant decision that could on the one hand increase the Israeli economic weight and on the other also have repercussions at a geopolitical level on the entire region. In addition to the development of a self-sufficiency policy, Israel has studied the possibility of becoming in the short term (not before 2017) a net exporter of energy and a strategically important terrestrial carrier at international level thanks to the construction of natural gas liquefaction pipeline and terminal that will transport annual quantities in excess of 60 billion m 3 to Europe, Jordan, Turkey – with which a $ 2 billion pre-agreement has been signed for the development of a submarine gas pipeline – and Asia (especially China and India). A condition that would allow, thanks to the profits from exports and royalties paid by operators in the sites in question for the next 20 years (revenues close to $ 200 billion), to cover annual internal consumption of 7-10 billion m 3, create new jobs and encourage investment in the education, health and welfare sectors. The discovery of a large oil field off the coast of Egypt partially reduced Israeli ambitions in the field of exports to the region but did not significantly compromise development projects in the energy field.¬†For Israel public policy, please check paradisdachat.com.

The water issue and the Red-Dead Canal

The control of water resources has always been a sensitive issue in the Middle East and capable of influencing the socio-political environment of the communities that live there. The growing need for water has in fact created disputes and wars between Israelis, Palestinians and the Arab countries of the region, even in the recent past. In order to remedy these problems and to ensure peaceful regional cooperation that at the same time favors a reduction in disparities, Israel has signed with Jordan and the Palestinian National Authority (NPC) a protocol for the construction of the Red-Dead Canal, a canal that connects the Red Sea with the Dead Sea. The agreement, signed in Washington on December 9, 2013, had been under discussion since 1994 when the peace agreement between Jordan and Israel was reached, but the political tensions between the authorities of the three realities and the difficulty in finding the necessary funding for its realization of the project had blocked the negotiations several times. Under the tripartite agreement, the project should allow both the protection of the waters of the Dead Sea from the risk of complete drying up by 2050, and the ability to cope with the growing demand for water of individual countries. In addition to the construction of the so-called ‘Canal of the two seas’, the project involves the construction of two artificial tourist lakes and the creation of a series of tourist infrastructures that will arise in their immediate vicinity. According to the agreement reached, approximately 200 million cubic meters (m3) of water through four underground conduits that will cross the Jordanian territory bringing water from the Red Sea to the southern end of Israel and from there transferred to Jordan and the West Bank. Also on the basis of the agreement, between 30 and 50 million m 3 of drinking water will reach Jordan and Israel, while Tel Aviv will undertake to sell 20-30 million m 3 of water from the lake at preferential prices to Palestinians. of Tiberias. The project will be funded in part by the World Bank for a total cost of between 250 and 400 million dollars. An infrastructure that should be operational by 2018 but which is already experiencing some delays due to the complex regional and internal political situation in Israel and the Anp.

Israel Energy Self-sufficiency