American state nicknamed Cornhusker State. According to ablogtophone, Nebraska has an area of 200,520 km² and approximately 1.9 million inhabitants. Omaha is the largest city in the state but not the capital. That’s Lincoln.
Before the arrival of white settlers, Nebraska was inhabited by several Native American tribes. The first whites to visit the area were of French descent. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, parts of the area were already inhabited by French trappers. It wasn’t until American explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark explored the continent between 1804 and 1806 at the behest of then-President Thomas Jefferson that Nebraska became more famous and more and more settlers came to the area.
Due to the influx of settlers, the Native Americans who have lived in the area for a long time are increasingly hunted. Indians of the Pawnees and Omaha tribes, among others, are forced to give up (parts of) their land. Nebraska was part of Louisiana from 1700 to 1803. In 1854 the area officially became a territory. According to bestitude, on March 1, 1867, Nebraska joined the Union as a state.
Scotts Bluff National Monument
Scotts Bluff National Monument is located in western Nebraska and was an important landmark between the Oregon Trail and the Mormon Trail in the 19th century. Scotts Bluff is made up of many steep hills located on the south side of the North Platte River. This protected natural monument is made up of five rock formations called Crown Rock, Rock Dome, Eagle Rock, Saddle Rock and Sentinel Rock. The entire area is named after the cliff of the same name rising above the surrounding landscape, which is the highest point of the area with its height of 330 meters.
These rock formations in the American territory of Nebraska were already known in the distant past by the original Native American inhabitants of the area. The first white people to see them were members of an expedition in 1812 – fur traders traveling along the river. However, their discovery did not reach the general public, mainly because of the upcoming war. In 1823, the rocks were rediscovered by explorers heading into the Rocky Mountains. Since then, Scotts Bluff has been an important landmark for fur traders who criss-crossed the region. The most prominent and dominant cliff was named after a merchant named Hiram Scott, who died nearby in 1828.
In the early 1830s, in addition to fur traders, missionaries and numerous military expeditions began to pass by the cliffs. In early 1841, many settlers headed west to Oregon, California, or Utah passed through Scotts Bluff. The cliffs were also an important landmark for passing trains. The cliffs were passable through Mitchell Pass, a small gap between the rocks flanked by two more cliffs. Although this route was quite complicated, dangerous and demanding, it was preferred by many emigrants. They thus reached the North Platte on the north side of the river. In the 1850s, a road was built over Mitchell Pass by the US Army Corps of Engineers, which made it possible to transport cars through the strait as well. By 1869, this emigrant route was obsolete and replaced by the Transcontinental Railroad.
Only two cities were built in the area around Scotts Bluff – Gering and Scottsbluff, which together form the eighth largest urban area in Nebraska. Today, the cliffs have become a popular tourist attraction, as they offer a wonderful view of the surrounding countryside, hills, mountains, rivers and valleys. As a magnet, the rocks attract lovers of rock climbing, for which several climbing routes of varying difficulty have been built here. Scotts Bluff and several surrounding rock formations were declared a national monument on December 12, 1919 and placed under the auspices of the National Park Service.
Near the cliffs, you can visit the visitor center with the Oregon Trail Museum. The location is an ideal starting point for numerous trips to the surrounding area. In the museum, you can see exhibits focused on the settlement of the American West by white pioneers. On display are drawings and paintings by William Henry Jackson, as well as paleontological and geological attractions of the region.