State in the Northeast of America with the nickname Pine Tree State: Maine. According to ablogtophone, the state of Maine has an area of 86,542 km² and approximately 1.3 million inhabitants. The state capital is Augusta.
The state was first reached by whites in 1498. This by the Italian explorer Sebastian Cabot. Between 1604 and 1605, the French camped on St. Croix Island, part of the state of Maine. However, this did not lead to real colonization. The English attempted to colonize the area in 1608. This without success.
In 1616 the English tried again. This eventually led to British Sir Ferdinando Gorges being given rights to the area. In 1677, however, he had to relinquish these rights to Massachusetts. Many settlements did not exist at that time and the inhabitants of the few settlements that did exist had suffered badly during King Philip’s War (1675-1676), a general uprising of Native Americans in the area. The war was called King Philip’s War by the settlers because the leader of the Wampanoag Indians, who was called Metacomet in his own language, was called King Philip by the English.
Historians estimate that about 7 out of every 8 Native Americans in the area were killed during this war and 30 out of every 65 English settlers.
Flag & motto
The Maine flag decal features a small pine tree under which a moose is resting. The word Dirigo can be read above the emblem. According to bestitude, this is the state motto and means something like ‘I lead’.
Roosevelt Campobello IP
Campobello Island is located in the northeast of the state of Maine, almost to the border with Canada, not far from New Brunswick. The island occupies an area of 70 square kilometers, is 9 miles long and 3 miles wide. Today, around 1,300 people live here and it is accessible by ferry from New Brunswick or by bridge from the town of Lubec.
Originally, the island was inhabited by Indian tribes who called it Ebaghuit. The first European explorers were French colonizers and they renamed it Port aux Coquilles – Bay of Shells. The French eventually went to war with Spain over the island, but in the end the island fell to the English crown thanks to the Treaty of Utrecht.
In 1770, Captain William Owen, a member of the Royal Navy, was in command of the island, who renamed it today’s Campobello. The island was named after the then governor of the province of New Brunswick, Lord William Campbell. At the end of the 18th century, the island was experiencing great prosperity, it had a developed economy based mainly on fishing, and around 1,000 people lived here. In 1866, the Canadians attacked the island, but the United States quickly defended itself.
Towards the end of the 19th century, a luxury hotel was built on the island and Campobello became a popular resort for wealthy Canadians and Americans. These people have also started building their holiday homes here. This group of people also included Sara Delan and her husband James Roosevelt, who lived in New York. Since 1883, the Roosevelt family had their summer cottage on the island. Their son, the future president of the United States Franklin Delano Roosevelt, spent his childhood and most of his youth here.
During the 20th century, the prosperity of the island began to stagnate and many people left to live elsewhere. However, for President Roosevelt, the peace here was exactly what he needed and what protected his family from the outside world. The property that the family had on the island belonged to the first lady of America – Eleanor Roosevelt – until 1962. The wife of the president died in 1962, and in the same year a bridge was built on the island to connect it to the American mainland. This fact brought a revival of tourism to these places, and two years later Roosevelt Campobello International Park was declared here on an area of 2,800 acres.
Saint Croix Island IHS
About 8 miles to the south of the city of Calais lies the islet of Saint Croix. According to historians, it was inhabited as early as 4,000 years ago and today it is protected as an internationally important historical site. Between 1604 and 1605, the French Guard led by the cruel commander Pierre Dugua invaded here. His campaign was accompanied by numerous battles with the natives and it was no different here. Pierre Dugua tried to establish the first French settlement on the island and gradually colonize the territory.
However, 35 out of a total of 79 members of his expedition could not cope with the coming of a severe winter. They died due to severe frosts, scurvy, lack of food and drink. They were all buried on the island. In the spring of 1605, all the survivors left the island and went to Nova Scotia, where they founded the town of Port Royal.
Commercial use of the island is currently prohibited, so no cruise ship is allowed to come here. The government is thus trying to protect the unique natural and cultural uniques and preserve the local balance intact.