History of Alabama

By | September 23, 2022

The state of Alabama is located in the southeastern United States and is also known as the Yellowhammer State. According to ablogtophone, Alabama is located on the Gulf of Mexico, has an area of ​​135,765 km² and its capital is Montgomery.

As in almost all of America, Alabama was in the past inhabited by various Native American tribes such as the Chickasaw, Cherokee, Muskogee, Choctaw and Natchez. After the west has discovered the country, the French, Spaniards and English, among others, claim parts of the area. The French are the first to establish a permanent settlement in Alabama in 1702: Mobile.

During the American Civil War, which lasted from 1861 to 1865, Alabama sided with the Confederate States of America, the southern states that had seceded from the northern states. Alabama therefore had many cotton plantations on which many slaves worked, and the state did not want that slavery abolished. Something that the northern states of America were in favor of.

Apartheid

Although most of the cotton plantations have since disappeared, many residents of the state still do not believe that whites and blacks are equal. In 2004, for example, the population voted in favor of maintaining apartheid laws that, among other things, ensure segregation in education. However, the laws cannot be enforced because America’s federal judiciary prohibits it.

In the 1950s, this segregation in education caused a great deal of commotion. The federal Supreme Court then outlawed this segregation, but Alabama refused to comply with the ban, forcing the federal military to even step in to bring colored students to school safely.

Alabama Flag

According to bestitude, Alabama joined the United States of America on December 14, 1819.

Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site

Today, the national historical site is the Tuskegee Institute, located in Tuskegee, Alabama. It was historically the first private university for black students to receive a scholarship. The University of Tuskegee is considered one of America’s best schools.

Founding the school was a big dream for former black slave Lewis Adams and also for its former owner George W. Campbell. Adams learned to read, write, and speak several languages, even though he was not allowed to be formally educated, so he wanted the rest of the black population to be given the opportunity. He made a living as an experienced plumber, harness manufacturer, shoemaker and Freemason. He later became a respected leader of the African American community living in Macon County, Alabama.

In 1941, it was decided to build the Moton Field Public Airport, which was located about 5 kilometers north of the business district of Tuskegee. The airport then served as the primary flight training area for pioneer pilots, known as Tuskegee pilots. These were African-American pilots who fought during World War II. The deployment of these pilots was considered a kind of military experiment in the 1940s. During the war, young black cadets eagerly sought an opportunity to prove to themselves and their surroundings that they were true American patriots. The airport itself was established as a training base and was named after its first director, Robert Russ Moton.

These pilots attended the Tuskegee Institute, where they had the opportunity to study. The Tuskegee University campus was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. As it is not precisely defined how large an area falls under protection, it can be assumed that the entire campus of the university at that time is included.

Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site

Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site is located at Moton Field Public Airport, about 3 miles north of Alabama’s Tuskegee Business District. Today, this memorial recalls the heroism and courage of African-American pilots who fought during World War II. The deployment of these pilots was considered a kind of military experiment in the 1940s.

Moton Field Airport then served as the primary flight training area for pioneer pilots known as Tuskegee pilots. The airport itself was established in 1941 as a training base and was named after its first director, Robert Russ Moton.

The site was declared a National Historic Site on November 6, 1998, and was entered on the National Register of Historic Places of America on the same day. Today, there is also a visitor center, where you can learn about the history and course of the war. Here you can look at the world through the eyes of young black cadets who eagerly sought an opportunity during the war to prove to themselves and their surroundings that they were true American patriots.