Georgia lies on the border between Europe and Asia, bordering Russia, Turkey, Armenia and Azerbaijan. The country offers surprisingly good cuisine, great landscapes, impressive monasteries and a lot of hospitality from the inhabitants.
|Size||69,700 km² (including Abkhazia and South Ossetia)|
|Telephone Area Code||+995|
Source: Destination Explorer
Fast facts to know
- Almost a third of Georgia’s population lives in Tbilisi.
- Wine was invented in Georgia.
- Georgians love rugby.
- The deepest cave in the world is in Georgia.
- In Georgia there are three 5000m mountains.
- The road conditions are only very good on the big, well-known routes. An SUV is recommended. Driving in cities is exhausting and requires concentration.
- Hiking in Georgia is wonderful.
- Hospitality is very important.
- You can enter Germany without a visa.
- Apart from the border areas with South Ossetia, Abkhazia and Russia, Georgia is considered to be quite safe. Tourism is booming.
- Wifi is available almost everywhere, but the network is fragile and mostly slow.
- Medical care outside of cities is rather poor.
- There is no compulsory insurance, the usual standard vaccinations such as hepatitis A are recommended. Rabies is also an issue.
- Georgia has 12 different climate zones.
- Georgia is known for its choral folk music.
Exciting cities in Georgia
History of Georgia
- 6th century the states of Colchis (West Georgia) and Iberia (East Georgia) are established.
- 327 Christianity becomes the state religion.
- Subdued over the centuries by Romans, Persians, Byzantines and Arabs.
- 11th-13th Century Golden Age. Georgia becomes the strongest power in Transcaucasia.
- 16th century Disintegration into the kingdoms of Imereti, Kakheti and Kartli as well as five principalities.
- 1783 Eastern Georgia signs a protection treaty with Russia.
- 1801 Eastern Georgia is annexed.
- By 1864, Russia conquered all regions of Georgia.
- 1918 After the October Revolution, Georgia declares independence.
- 1921 The Democratic Republic of Georgia is occupied by the Red Army and incorporated into the Soviet Union.
- 1991 Georgia declares independence again after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- 2008 Open war with Russia over South Ossetia conflict.
Climate & travel weather in Georgia
- 3 climate zones:
- Black Sea coast, Colchis plain west of the Surami mountains: subtropical-Mediterranean, partly humid climate.
- East of the Surami mountains: continental, drier climate.
- Mountainous regions: alpine climate.
- Recommended travel time:
- April – October (better to avoid winter).
Ideas for trips in Georgia
- Gergeti Monastery.
- Davit Gareja monastery complex.
- Fortified and cave town Uplistsikhe.
- Jvari Monastery in Mtskheta.
- Gelati and Motsameta monasteries.
- Vardzia Cave Monasteries.
- Rafting on wild river.
- Prometheus Cave.
- Boat ride through Martvili Canyon.
- Hike to the highest village in Georgia – Ushguli.
- Ateni Sioni Church.
- Kazchi Pillar Monastery.
- Muzo Fortress.
- Shatili Fortress.
- Ananuri Fortress.
Food & Drink in Georgia
- Perceptible Persian, European and Asian influences, once the flagship kitchen of Russia.
- Georgians are excellent hosts. It is always served in abundance to show the generosity of the host.
- Georgian cuisine is very varied and is one of the best in Eastern Europe.
- Great variety of fresh fruit and vegetables all year round.
- Better not to buy meat products from street stalls.
- We like to prepare: pork, beef, mutton, but also bear, deer, mountain goat, rabbit, quail, pheasant and fish.
- Common side dishes are corn, wheat, beans
- Georgia is considered the place of origin of viticulture. Correspondingly excellent wines can be found all over the country.
- Typical dishes:
- Khachapuri (cheese bread).
- Khinkali (dumplings filled with onions, minced meat and pepper).
- Pelamuschi (sweet pudding cooked from grape juice and cornmeal).
- Chink’ali (noodle balls filled with minced meat, onions and herbs).
- Shkhmeruli (fried chicken with walnuts and garlic).
- Wine region in Kakheti
- Okatse Canyon & Waterfall
- Natural Parks:
- Tbilisi National Park
- Vashlovani National Park
- Mtirala National Park
- Tusheti National Park
- Javakheti National Park
- Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park
- Kolkheti National Park
- Abudelauri Lakes