Fiji is probably one of the most famous tropical islands in the South Pacific. The island nation is north of New Zealand and east of Australia. For Europeans, however, this paradise is a long 26-hour flight away. Beautiful beaches, beautiful nature and perfect diving opportunities make the long journey quickly forgotten.
|Official Language||Fiji, English|
|Telephone Area Code||+679|
Source: Destination Explorer
Fast facts to know
- Wearing a hat is considered disrespectful in Fiji.
- You can also buy souvenirs in exchange for other things.
- Carrying enough water and sunscreen is a must.
- Has beautiful palm-fringed beaches and coral reefs.
- Fiji was ruled by the military from 2006-2014, the constitution was suspended from 2009-2014, and free elections have only been held since 2014.
- Increasing crime, especially after dark, caution should be exercised.
- Note the instructions from the Foreign Office.
- One should not just walk into a simple village, but observe rules of conduct:
- Waiting for a welcome at the edge of the village.
- Bring a gift (bundle of kava).
- Take off your shoes in front of the house.
- talk softly
- Wear modest clothing, women should cover shoulders.
- If you are greeted with kava, you should not refuse it and follow the procedure below:
- Clap your hands once before accepting the bowl.
- Empty in one go.
- After passing the bowl back, clap three times.
- Tourist visa is issued upon arrival (valid for 4 months).
Exciting cities in Fiji
History of Fiji
- Inhabited for more than 3,000 years.
- Discovered by European seafarers in the 17th century.
- Increasing British influence in the 19th century, which culminated in colonial annexation in 1874.
- In the 2nd World War supply station of the Allies.
- 1970 Declaration of Independence and admission to the United Nations.
- Several military coups, most recently 2006-2014.
- Parliamentary democracy since 2014.
Climate & travel weather in Fiji
- Tropical-maritime climate.
- High rainfall.
- Warm all year round.
- November – April: very humid, many hurricanes (especially Nov – Jan)
- May – October: Less rain and slightly cooler.
- Best travel time: April – October.
Ideas for trips in Fiji
- Natadola Beach.
- Sri Siva Subramaniya Temple.
- Sacred Caves of Naihehe.
- Relax on the small island of Caqalai.
- Colo-I-Suva Forest Park and the Kula Eco Park on Viti Levu.
- Great Astrolabe Riff.
- Garden of the Sleeping Giant (Orchideengarten).
- Mud bath in the Sabeto Valley.
Eating & Drinking in Fiji
- Melanesian and Indian elements.
- Lots of fresh fish and fruit.
- Curry dishes very popular.
- Paradise for vegetarians.
- Dishes are little seasoned.
- Typical dishes:
- Lovo (cooked in an earth oven, fish, meat, fruit, vegetables).
- Kava (drink made from the Yaqona, dried roots of the pepper plant).
- Fafaru (raw fish).
- Hua (satiating fruit dish).
- Kumara (sweet potato, popular side dish).
- Palusami (packets of taro leaves, coconut milk, seafood or corned beef).
- Berg Batilamu auf Viti Levu.
- Rainforest on Kadavu
- Crater Lake and Bouma Falls on Taveuni.
- Koroyanito National Heritage Park.
- Sigatoka sand dunes.