The city of Lom is located on the right bank of the Danube River. It is 162 km north of Sofia. It is the second most important port city on the Danube after Rousse.
Lom was founded by the Thracians under the name Artanes. After them, the Romans named the fortress and the city Almus. In the Middle Ages, there was no evidence of the existence of a significant settlement in this place, the city grew only during the time of Turkish rule. There are suggestions that the Turkish village was founded in 1695 by the defeated at Vienna. in 1683, Kara Mustafa and Murad Bey, who sailed on rafts along the Danube. The city experienced a significant rise in the first third of the 19th century. in connection with the development of navigation on the Danube. By 1869, there were about 120 shops, 148 trading offices, 175 groceries, 34 cafes, 6 hotels, 2 water mills in Lome.
Along the banks of the Danube there are recreation centers, places for picnics, fishing and water sports.
There are few attractions in the city. The ruins of the ancient fortress Almus have survived to this day. In an interesting building of the old community, the City Historical Museum is located. It is worth seeing the Borunskaya church and the monument to Ceko voivode (1807 – 1881) – a participant in the struggle for the liberation of Serbia.
4 km southeast of Lom are the remains of the Asparukh Ditch.
Lom is the center of viticulture and winemaking.
The city of Montana is located on the Ogosta River in close proximity to the reservoir of the same name. It is 113 km north of Sofia.
On the site of Montana, there was a Roman fortified settlement of Castra ad Montanenzium. Its location was determined by the intersection of the most important roads and a violent karst spring. In the 3rd century AD it was the most important city in the Roman province of Dacia and was known by the name Ripensis. However, later the prosperous city was destroyed by the barbarians. During the Turkish rule, it is mentioned for the first time under the name of Kutlovitsa. By the end of the XIX century. he was named Ferdinand. At that time it was a craft center and held the largest livestock fair. Merchants came here from all over the country and from abroad – Turkey, Romania, Serbia. The construction of the railway line Boychinovtsi – Berkovitsa in 1916, which also passed through Ferdinand, made a great contribution to the development of the city. The city received its modern name only in 1993.
To the south of the city is the Montana Reservoir. This is a great place for recreation, sports, water tourism, fishing. Many dachas and bases for recreation and establishments have been built here. Buses run to the reservoir.
Also in the south is the historical area of Calais bair with archaeological excavations of the Roman fortress of Castra ad Montaesium (Montana).
Primorsko is a climatic resort and a center for youth tourism. It is located 52 km south of Bourgas. There are 80 rest houses and children’s camps in the coastal strip. There are also summer camps for high school students and students.
The city has two beaches – North and South. The first of them is more open and with rough seas, therefore it attracts surfers; the second one is quieter and smaller, so it is suitable for families. Primorsko is a large park: this area is densely overgrown with deciduous trees and bushes.
According to theinternetfaqs, Razgrad is located 66 km west of Ruse. It is surrounded by the Ludogor plateau and is considered its capital. Razgrad is the heir of the Roman settlement of Abritus, whose ruins can be seen near the city. In 1388, Razgrad, like other Bulgarian cities, came under Turkish rule. From the 16th century craft and trade began to develop here. Gradually, the Bulgarians began to settle in Razgrad and changed its eastern appearance. In recent decades, the city has developed into a center for the pharmaceutical industry.
The main attractions of Razgrad are the Church of St. Nicholas of the end of the 19th century, the clock tower, the archaeological reserve “Abritus”; Mosque of Ibrahim Pasha, one of the largest in Bulgaria.
36 kilometers northeast of Razgrad is one of the most charming corners of the Ludogora Plateau – the Voden Nature Reserve. It is known for its age-old deciduous forest, as well as a nursery for breeding bison, fallow deer. The richly decorated Thracian tomb is located 40 km northeast of the city. This monument has been declared a cultural monument of world importance and is under the protection of UNESCO.