Overview of Becker College
Becker College, located in Worcester, Massachusetts, is a private college with a history dating back to its founding in 1784. Becker is known for its focus on career-oriented education, offering a range of undergraduate and graduate programs in diverse fields. The college emphasizes experiential learning, innovation, and community engagement. Here’s an overview of key aspects of Becker College:
- History and Evolution: Established as Leicester Academy in 1784, Becker College has undergone several transformations over the years. In 1887, it became Leicester Junior College, and in 1977, it adopted the name Becker College to honor the Becker family, long-time benefactors. The college has a rich history of adapting to the evolving needs of students and society.
- Career-Focused Education: Becker College is recognized for its commitment to providing career-focused education. The curriculum is designed to equip students with the skills and knowledge needed for success in their chosen fields. Programs are often tailored to align with emerging trends in industries such as business, technology, health sciences, and design.
- Academic Programs: Becker College offers a variety of undergraduate programs leading to Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees. The academic offerings cover a broad range of disciplines, including business administration, criminal justice, game design, nursing, veterinary science, and more. Additionally, the college provides graduate programs in areas such as mental health counseling and interactive media.
- Experiential Learning and Innovation: Experiential learning is a cornerstone of education at Becker College. The college emphasizes hands-on experiences, internships, and cooperative education opportunities that allow students to apply theoretical knowledge in real-world settings. This approach enhances students’ readiness for the workforce and fosters a culture of innovation.
- Center for Career Education and Advising: Becker College’s Center for Career Education and Advising provides resources and support to help students explore career options, develop job-search strategies, and connect with employers. The center plays a crucial role in facilitating internships, networking events, and career development workshops.
- Global Initiatives: Becker College recognizes the importance of global perspectives in today’s interconnected world. The college offers study abroad programs, international internships, and opportunities for cross-cultural engagement, allowing students to broaden their horizons and gain a deeper understanding of global issues.
- Game Design Program: One of Becker College’s notable programs is its Game Design program, which has gained recognition for its excellence. The program focuses on preparing students for careers in the rapidly growing and evolving field of game design and development.
- Nursing and Health Sciences: Becker College offers programs in nursing and health sciences that prepare students for roles in healthcare. The curriculum integrates theoretical knowledge with practical skills, and students often have opportunities for clinical experiences in healthcare settings.
- Innovation Hubs: Becker College is home to Innovation Hubs that serve as collaborative spaces for students, faculty, and industry professionals. These hubs provide an environment where creativity and innovation flourish, fostering interdisciplinary projects and entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Esports Management Program: Recognizing the increasing prominence of esports, Becker College offers a unique program in Esports Management. The program combines business and management principles with a focus on the esports industry, preparing students for careers in this growing field.
- Community Engagement: Becker College is actively engaged with the local community. Students participate in service-learning projects, community service initiatives, and outreach programs that contribute to the well-being of the community and provide opportunities for students to make a positive impact.
- Campus and Facilities: The Becker College campus features modern facilities, including classrooms, laboratories, and recreational spaces. The campus provides a vibrant and supportive environment for academic and extracurricular activities.
- Athletics: Becker College competes in NCAA Division III athletics as the Hawks. The college offers a range of varsity sports, including basketball, soccer, lacrosse, and esports, providing students with opportunities for athletic participation and school spirit.
- Cybersecurity Program: Given the increasing importance of cybersecurity, Becker College offers a program in Cybersecurity and Network Administration. This program addresses the growing demand for professionals with expertise in securing digital systems and networks.
Becker College stands as an institution with a strong focus on career-oriented education, experiential learning, and innovation. Its commitment to preparing students for success in dynamic industries, such as game design and esports, reflects its responsiveness to emerging trends. The college’s emphasis on community engagement, global perspectives, and the integration of theory and practice contributes to a holistic educational experience for its diverse student body.
61 Sever Street Worcester, MA 01609
Phone: (877) 523-2537
Web site: http://www.beckercollege.edu
Rankings: Becker College
Located in Worcester, MA, Becker College is one of the best universities in the state of Massachusetts. On this page, you will find in-depth rankings for Becker College in the following areas: graduation rates, teaching resources, financing opportunities, and alumni donations. Latest acceptance rate is also given to show how competitive is Becker College.
Becker College is ranked in the top 10% of all colleges and universities in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. The college is also highly ranked for its online programs, with several of its online degrees being included in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Online Programs list, including its Master of Science in Nursing program, which was ranked #12 out of over 350 programs nationwide. Becker College has also been recognized by The Princeton Review as one of the best colleges and universities in the Northeast for 2017, with a score of 92 out of 100 for academic excellence. In addition to these accolades, Becker College has been recognized as a top military-friendly school by Military Advanced Education magazine for providing quality educational opportunities to military students and their families. This recognition speaks to the college’s commitment to helping our nation’s veterans find success through education, while also providing scholarships and financial assistance opportunities to make college more affordable for everyone. Becker College is committed to providing a high-quality education that prepares students for success in their chosen fields, and this commitment is demonstrated through its rankings from some of the most respected organizations in higher education today.
|Rankings, Ratings, and Admissions Statistics
|Peer college rating (out of 5)
|Graduation and retention ranking:
|Average freshman retention rate:
|6-year graduation rate:
|Predicted graduation rate:
|Faculty resources ranking:
|Classes with under 20 students (2020):
|Classes with 50 or more students (2020):
|Student faculty ratio (2020):
|Percent of faculty who are full-time (2020)
|Student selectivity ranking:
|SAT/ACT 25th-75th percentile (2020)
|2020 Freshmen in top 10 percent of high school class:
|Freshmen in top 25 percent of high school class (2020):
|Fall 2020 Acceptance rate:
|Financial resources rank:
|Alumni giving rank:
|Average alumni giving rate (2020):
Essential Facts: Becker College
- Becker College traces its history to 1784–one of the nations 25 oldest institutions of higher education–with a founding charter signed by John Hancock and Samuel Adams.
- Becker College is a distinctive small college that has long been recognized for its intimate learning environment and cutting edge educational programs.
- Becker College, founded in 1887, is a private, liberal arts, coeducational school, with a branch campus in Leicester. Its 100-acre campus is located in Worcester.
Rules and regulations Sports Activities
|Percent of undergraduate students who live in college-owned, operated, or affiliated housing:
|Percent of undergraduates who are members of a fraternity:
|Percent of student body who are members of a sorority:
|Average percentage of students on campus during weekends:
|Are all students permitted to have cars on campus?
|Percent of students who have cars on campus:
|Is alcohol permitted on campus for students of legal age?
|Additional policies and regulations:
|class attendance policies set by individual instructors, hazing prohibited, smoking prohibited
|Collegiate athletic association:
|Men’s scholarship sports:
|Women’s scholarship sports:
|dance, student government, student newspaper, yearbook