Anhui is one of the richest provinces in tourism resources. There are more than 290 tourist attractions of state and provincial significance, including scenic areas, historical and cultural cities, nature reserves and forest park areas, Huangshan and Jiuhuashan Mountains. The local landscapes inspired the famous poet of the Tang era, Li Bo. Many districts of this region are mentioned in ancient sources. The province has preserved a wealth of winged words and expressions, traditions and legends, which today constitute the treasury of Chinese culture. See itypeauto for China Economic Sectors.
Hefei is the provincial capital and is located in the heart of the province. Before 1949 Hefei was a quiet trading town. Today it is one of the four scientific, technical and educational centers in China. Here is the Institute of Science and Technology, which is known for a very high level of education. Although it is home to over one million people, the atmosphere is still calm here. Hefei is a garden city surrounded by forested mountain slopes. There are few attractions. Among them, it is worth noting the Mingjiao Temple, the local history museum of Anhui Province, Baohe and Xiaoyatsin parks. Many tourists use Hefei as a transit point before traveling to the sacred mountains of Huangshan and Jiuhuashan.
Shexian County (Shouxian) is called “underground museum”. The local museum houses over 6,000 excavated items from various dynasties, from the Zhou era (1046-256 BC) to the last Qing dynasty. There are items made of gold, silver, bronze, iron, ceramics, jade. By the era of Spring and Autumn (770-476 BC), the county played a significant role in the political, economic and cultural life of Central China. The capitals of many ancient kingdoms were located here.
The city wall in Shouxiang was built during the Song Dynasty (960-1279). The wall is 7 km long and 10 m high. It has four gates and 8 observation towers. The wall served not only to defend the city, but also to protect it from floods. Sometimes water during the floods of the river broke through the outer gates, but it did not reach the inner gates. Thus, water could not destroy the inner wall. Thanks to this technology, the city wall has been preserved for hundreds of years. Two locks were built in the northeast and northwest parts of the city to release water that did enter the city. In 1991, during the worst flood in 100 years, the city wall saved more than 100,000 people. The wall has another advantage – from it you can admire the stunning view of dense forests and the Feishui River.
In the western part of the county is the village of Tanyuye, where the Bao clan lived. The fathers of the family built a complex of 7 memorial arches, each of which embodies one of the moral precepts: fidelity to the traditions of the family, honoring parents, observing the traditional way of behavior, loyalty to duty, etc. In addition to memorial arches, family shrines have been preserved here to our times. One of the most famous is the Temple of the mother of the Bao clan, which is sometimes called the Temple of women. It was built in the traditional spirit of ancient Chinese architecture, and the sculptures installed inside are highly artistic. Shexian is the birthplace of a high-ranking official, Xu Guo, who served under three emperors. In 1564, in his honor, a memorial was erected here in the form of an arch, but not of the usual form (based on 4 pillars), but, as it were, doubled, based on 8 stobbles. The height of the arch is 11.4 m, and the area it occupies is 78.13 m2. Constructed of stone, it imitates a wooden structure. The arch is richly ornamented and is an example of a highly artistic architectural structure of Ancient China.
More than 2,500 years ago, Sun Shuao, the Minister of the Spring and Autumn Era, began the construction of the Anfengtang irrigation system, 30 km north of Shouxian. A reservoir 34 km long was built, on which 19 locks were installed. And now its displacement is over 100 million m 3. For thousands of years, the reservoir has served as a symbol of harmony between man and the surrounding world.
An ancient street in the city of Tunxi covers an area of 130 thousand m 2and stretches for 1273 m. On both sides of the street there are 257 shops, as well as buildings in the style of the era of the Southern Song and Ming dynasties with green tiles and whitewashed walls. The houses along the street have two floors, and each of them has a sign. This street embodied the traditions of the trading business of Ancient China. In the vicinity of the city, 300 old buildings have been preserved, 12 of which are recognized as national treasures.
Huangshan Mountains is a world-famous realm of amazing pine trees, bizarre stones, a sea of clouds and warm springs. The mountains are located in the south of the province and cover an area of about 1200 km 2. Here you can see 72 peaks that amaze with their shapes and extraordinary beauty. The three highest peaks are Lotus Peak (1873m), Brilliant Peak (1841m) and Heavenly Capital Peak (1810m). A cable car has been laid to the top of the White Goose. Almost 90% of the territory is covered with forests, where about 1,500 plant species and over 500 animal species grow, so Huangshan is a natural zoo and botanical garden. Currently, 8 tourist areas and more than 400 scenic spots are open here.
Approximately at the end of the Ming Dynasty – the beginning of the Qing Dynasty, a world-famous school of painting developed in the vicinity of Huangshan, which influenced Chinese landscape painting as a whole. In 1990, this natural site was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. There are several landscape areas in Huangshan. The “Jade Screen” scenery area, dubbed the “Masterpiece Salon”, is located in the center of the large Huangshan area. Here you can see bizarre mountain peaks and pine trees of unusual shapes, some of which got their name in antiquity. On the rocks, there are inscriptions made by calligraphers of different times, eminent figures and ordinary visitors.
The landscape area “North Sea” is located at an altitude of 1600 m. Its main attractions are Shixin Peak and tens of thousands of pine trees. Hospitals, sanatoriums, rest houses and summer cottages are located in the area of warm springs. Two rivers flow here – Taohuaxi and Tangquanxi, along the banks of which towers, gazebos, hotels, shops, a cinema, and an exhibition pavilion are lined up.
Landscape area “Cloud Valley” covers an area of 16.5 km 2. This is the realm of coolness and silence. The valley is constantly foggy, changing its colors from light pink to red during sunset.
The landscape area “Pine Valley” is located in the northern part of the Huangshan tourist area. The height difference in this area is 1000 m, 6500 steps lead to it. From the top you can see rocks, gorges and ponds. The Baiyunxi River area is practically undeveloped area. In recent years, a road called “White Cloud” has been built here, which leads from the Central Pavilion in the Botanical Garden to the Suspension Bridge Monastery. The road is 10 km long, along the way there are 15 observation platforms, 10 stone bridges, 6 waterfalls. The area looks especially picturesque during drizzling rains, when the fog envelops the mountains and trees.
For the convenience of viewing the mountain peaks in the tourist area of Huangshan, three cable cars are equipped. The Yungu Cable Car is 2804m long and connects the Cloud Valley Temple with White Goose Peak. The Yuping Cable Car runs from the Light of Forgiveness Temple to the tower in the Jade Screen Scenery. Its length is 2012 m, the total number of cabins is 31. Each cabin is designed for 6 people. The Taiping cable car is located in Pine Valley. It stretches for 3561 m, connecting the nunnery with the Pine Forest peak. The one way trip takes about 11 minutes. Yi County is located at the foot of the Huangshan Mountains.with a complex of ancient settlements built in the traditional style of the Hoi An architectural school. A large number of ancient residential buildings and ancestral temples built during the Ming and Qing dynasties are well preserved to our time. The architectural style of the Khoi school is seen here in everything: in elegant engravings and patterns on tiles, wooden columns and stone walls of houses and temples, original and lush interiors. These settlements and buildings attract not only tourists, but also scientists who study history and culture.
The most prominent place is occupied by the village of Xidicun in the southeastern part of the county, which is called the China Housing Museum times of the Ming and Qing dynasties. “It has more than 300 houses and temples erected in the era of the Ming and Qing dynasties. The location and layout of buildings and streets have been preserved in their original form.
Another ancient village, Hucun, removed from the county And 11 km. By its appearance, the village resembles a bull. Mount Lei rises in the west – the head of a bull, 2 tall trees grow on its slopes – the horns of a bull, on both sides of the Hongcun, 4 bridges are thrown over the Ji Ying River – 4 legs of a bull. Hundreds of buildings of the village in their general appearance resemble the body of a bull. The winding river that surrounds the houses and temples of the village is considered to be the gut of a bull. Yuezao pond resembles the stomach of an animal with its crescent shape, and the lake in the south of the village is the belly of a bull. In 2000, the villages of Xidicun and Hongcun of Anhui Province were included by UNESCO in the World Cultural and Natural Heritage List as outstanding complexes of ancient buildings.
Mount Jiuhuashan is one of the most famous Buddhist mountains in China.. It is believed that the Bodhisattva of Salvation (Ksitigarbha) placed in a shrine is kept here. During the Tang Dynasty, China was visited by the Korean prince Kim Qiaojue, who spent 75 years meditating on the mountain. At this time, temples and monasteries began to be actively built. During the heyday, the number of monasteries reached 300, and the number of monks – 4000 people. Jiuhuashan was visited by wanderers all year round. To date, 78 monasteries with 1,500 Buddha images have been preserved on the mountain.
It is best to climb the mountain along the northern route, where the scenery is more beautiful and there are more monasteries and historical sights. Approximately in the middle of the path there is a temple of Sweet Dew, where a Buddhist school now operates. Inside the temple are vast halls and many images of the Buddha, and around – luxurious trees and tall bamboos. From afar, you can admire the Taoyan Waterfall. The best time for this is the rainy season when the river is full.
Qiyunshan Mountains – This is the most famous place of Taoist pilgrimage south of the Yangtze, as well as a reserve of national importance, famous for its geological objects. The morphostructure of this region was formed 72 million years ago. Today, stones of bizarre shapes and numerous caves can be seen everywhere. There are many Taoist monasteries on the slopes. The Chinese Science and Technology University included this mountain in the list of scientific and educational bases.
Taiping Lake is an artificial lake created on the northern slope of Huangshan Mountain after the completion of the hydropower plant in Chencun Village. It covers an area of about 100 km2, has a length from east to west of 48 km, from south to north – 3.8 km, and an average depth of 40 m. There are 10 small islands on the lake, and hills and mountain peaks rise along its shores. There are many wild birds in this area. Taiping is divided into 5 landscape areas: Gongxin, Guangyang, Huangxing, Longmen and Sanmen.