In the rear building on Prinsengracht in Amsterdam, the Jewish girl Anne Frank hid from July 6, 1942 to August 4, 1944 with her mother and sister as well as her father and four other people, before she was first transferred to the Westerbork Jewish transit camp after her arrest was brought to the Netherlands and from there to Auschwitz.
Because of the approaching Eastern Front, she and her older sister Margot Betti Frank were deported to Bergen-Belsen. In early March 1945, she and her sister fell victim to the typhus epidemic in Bergen-Belsen. Her mother Edith Frank-Holländer was murdered in Auschwitz on January 6, 1945. Only the father Otto Heinrich Frank survived Auschwitz and died in 1980 near Basel.
Anne Frank was born on June 12, 1929 in Frankfurt / Main and fled the Nazis to the Netherlands in 1934.
The original of Anne Frank’s diary is also in the museum.
Daily from 9 a.m. to
7 p.m. www.annefrank.nl
In the painter’s former home from the 17th century, you can get an impression of how the painter lived back then. The extension from 1999 houses the world’s largest collection of copperplate engravings, drawings and etchings by the artist.
Mon-Sat 10 a.m.-
5 p.m., Sun 1 p.m.- 5 p.m. www.rembrandthuis.nl
The building in neo-renaissance and neo-Gothic style was opened in 1885. It houses one of the most important Dutch painting collections as well as a large number of historical objects and documents. The museum was renovated and enlarged for around 10 years until 2013. In the museum you will find, among other things, the famous painting by Rembrandt “The Night Watch”. The museum garden is also worth mentioning. More below under “Museums”!
Daily 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. www.rijksmuseum.nl
The Chinese quarter is around Zeedijk Street. Here there are, among other things, Chinese shops, restaurants and a Chinese school, as well as a Buddhist temple.
Until after the Second World War, workers lived in poor conditions in the quaint quarter. They were replaced in the 1960s by artists, students and intellectuals who took care of the houses, some of which were quite shabby. Today there are boutiques, galleries, pubs and pretty street cafes here.
In the pretty quarter in the north of the IJ you can still find beautiful, small, listed wooden houses.
This district was built east of the center on the old harbor islands. Individual residential quarters in contemporary Dutch architecture were built on the individual docks.
Small apartments for working-class families were built here in a very short time in the 19th century. Today, many students and people from all nations live in the picturesque quarter with its narrow streets.
According to the motto: “The creative city of the future needs objects like this”, there is this two-kilometer-long exhibition area in which the young Dutch architectural guild presents itself.
At the southern tip of the Markermeer, the city is currently piling seven million cubic meters of sand in the Ijmeer. A new, ultra-modern district is being built there with design studios and trendy apartments.
The 80,000 square kilometer commercial area of the former NDSM shipyard in the north of the city is the cultural hotbed of the Netherlands. In the shipyard, which was finally closed in 1984, there are industrial designers, theater professionals, sculptors and graphic artists. In the huge building made of glass, steel and brick there are around 100 studios of a good 200 artists.
According to areacodesexplorer, the square called “Dam” is located in the center of the old town of Amsterdam. It got its name from a dam built here in the 13th century in the Amstel.
On or on the square are the royal castle, the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) and opposite the National Monument. It should be mentioned that Madam Tussaud’s wax museum and the Industria House of the “Industrieele Groote Club” – built here in 1912 by Foeke Kuipers – have their headquarters here, alongside other buildings.
The lively square is a popular meeting place for locals. There are a few cafes, bars and restaurants here. In warm weather, street artists and musicians show their skills here. On the west side of the square are the Neo-Renaissance Stadsschouwburg and the American Hotel, one of the most beautiful Art Nouveau buildings on the square.
In the large square around the Waagebouw there are Asian snack bars and numerous cafes.
The former botermarket has been called Rembrandtplein since 1876. This year a monument to the artist was erected here. There are nice pubs, bars and cafes in the square.
The pretty square is framed by many cafes and bars. Here you will find the Café Hoppe, which has been in operation since 1670, including one of the oldest Amsterdam cafés. You can browse the book market here on Saturdays.
Important structures and buildings
In the Middle Ages, wealthy merchants donated residential pens for single or widowed women who wanted to lead a religious life without becoming a nun. The idyllic Begijnenhof is one of these pens. The houses that can be seen today are almost all from the 17th century. On the site in the middle of the city center there is a meadow with trees, small front gardens and two churches.
Spui and Kalverstraat
Beurs van Berlage
The stock exchange building was built from 1897-1903. With its simple facade, the stock exchange is one of the first buildings of modern Dutch architecture. It used to be home to four stock exchanges. Today the Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra has its headquarters here. The building also houses exhibition and conference rooms.
The ornate bridge is modeled on the Seine bridge in Paris. It was built in 1884.
Amstelstraat / Amstel
De Koninglijke Paleis
The building, also known as “Paleis op de Dam”, is located in downtown Amsterdam on the edge of the “de Dam” square next to the New Church. It was built from 1648 to 1665 as a town hall on 13,659 tree trunks based on designs by the architect Jacob van Campen in the Dutch-Classicist style. From 1808 the Palais building was no longer used as a town hall, but as a royal palace and since 1939 it has been used permanently by the royal family for representative purposes and as a guest house for state guests – but it is not the seat of the royal family.
Particularly worth seeing are the splendid, ornate Burgerzaal (citizens’ hall) and the courtroom.
Gouden Bocht (Golden Arch)
Part of the Herengracht is lined with magnificent city palaces. Most of these were built in the 17th century by wealthy merchants who wanted to display their wealth.
From Amsterdam Central Station – the Amsterdam Centraal – trains run to the following major cities, among others: Antwerp, Berlin, Basel, Brussels, Frankfurt am Main, Cologne, Copenhagen, Munich, Paris and Zurich.
In 1875 the architect and engineer AL van Gendt were commissioned to draw up a design for the reception building. The building, built in the style of the Dutch Renaissance, impresses with its red brick – with decorations made of natural stone. The plans for the station came from the architect PJH Cuypers, while the two large platform halls came from the railway engineer LJ Eijmer. The first hall on the city side was completed in 1889 – this was also the date of the official opening. The longer hall facing the water was not completed until 1922.
Because of the damp and sandy subsoil, the station was secured against subsidence with the help of 9,000 wooden piles.
The residential complex in the style of brick expressionism was created in 1919 by the architect Michel de Klerk. It owes its name to its ship-like appearance.
The most famous bridge in Amsterdam connects the Kerkstraat with the Nieuwe Kerkstraat across the Amstel. The white wooden bridge, built in 1676, was demolished in 1929 but rebuilt.
Kerkstraat / Amstel
The beautiful defense tower dates back to the 16th century. It has been used by the waterworks since 1878.
The mint tower, built in 1620, was originally part of the fortifications.
The monument was designed by the architect JJP Oud and executed by the sculptor John Rädecker and inaugurated in 1956. The memorial is a memorial for the victims of the German occupation in the course of the Second World War and at the same time a memorial for the liberation and peace at that time. It consists of a 22 meter high obelisk which is surrounded by a series of sculptures. The sculptures are supposed to symbolize war, peace and resistance.
The monument is located opposite the Royal Castle on the “de Dam” square.
Sint Antoniesbreestraat 69
The building from 1605 has belonged to the Pinto banking family since 1651. In 1681 a classical facade was added. Today a public library is housed here.
The magnificent building was built in 1916 in the brick Impressionist style. The building used to be the headquarters of the shipping companies.
Prins Hendrikkade 108-114
The semicircular fortress tower was built around 1485. According to a legend, the tower got its name from the weeping sailor wives who wept after their husbands’ ships from there, after
The large, multifunctional building complex was designed in the 1980s. It combines the town hall (Stadhuis) and music theater, hence the name. The music theater combines the Opera and the Nederlands Dans Theater; it was completed in 1986, the town hall in 1988.
A self-governing collective just appropriated the building from the sixties. A colorful group of artists, musicians and other creative people live there.
Waagebouw (The Scales)
The imposing building was built in 1488 as a city gate and converted into a scales in 1617. The upper floor housed the meeting rooms of the various guilds. The surgeons’ guild housed their anatomical theater under the roof, in which they demonstrated their surgical skills and which was also visited by Rembrandt. It is still preserved today, but only accessible at events of the media institute, which is based here today. There is also a restaurant and an internet café in the building.
The new central library – designed by the Dutch architect Jo Coenen – opened on July 7, 2007. The library covers an area of 28,000 m², making it one of the largest public libraries in Europe. The library has, among other things, a special youth department, a separate exhibition area, a reading café and a restaurant.
daily from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Visiting address: Oosterdokskade
1011 DL Amsterdam
1011 DK Amsterdam
E-mail: [email protected]
Amsterdams Marionetten Theater
The theater shows operas from Mozart to Offenbach.
Nieuwe Jonkerstraat 8
Here you can watch comedy and improvisational theater in English.
Het Muziektheater / Stopera
The only opera stage in the Netherlands is located in this multifunctional building, which also houses the town hall. In addition to operas, dance performances by the National Ballet and the Nederlands Dans Theater take place here.
Koninklijk Theater Carré
Musicals and variety shows are performed in the former circus building.
The city theater in neo-renaissance style was opened in 1894. Both classical and contemporary pieces are on the program.
Concertgebouw (concert hall)
The Concertgebouw is an important concert hall in the Amsterdam Zuid district. The building in was opened in 1888 according to plans by the architect Adolf Leonard van Gendt.
The building has two halls, the Great Hall having 1,962 seats and the Small Hall, which was restored in 2004, has 437 seats. Because of its excellent acoustics, the house is also one of the main venues of the “Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra”
1071 LN Amsterdam
Tel: +31 900 6718345
Churches and synagogues
St. Nicholas Basilica
The simple white, towerless church was built in 1669. Today it is used not only for church services but also as an exhibition space and for events.
The towerless Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) was built at the beginning of the 15th century, but was destroyed several times by fire. Its current form dates from the middle of the 16th century, the splendid interior was destroyed in the second half of the 16th century. Today the church serves as an exhibition space and as the coronation church of the Dutch kings and queens. In 2001 the wedding of the Dutch heir to the throne Willem-Alexander took place here. And here Willem-Alexander was sworn in as King of the Netherlands on April 30, 2013 – to succeed his mother Beatrix, who had previously voluntarily resigned for reasons of age.
The pretty church was completed in 1623.
The oldest building in the city was built around 1300, but has been expanded again and again over time. In the 14th century, the aisles and the choir were enlarged, a few chapels were added in the 15th century and the main nave and the tower were raised in the 16th century. Today the church stands in the middle of the red light district.
The synagogue was built in the second half of the 17th century by order of Sephardic Jews from Portugal. The large brick building was the world’s largest synagogue at the time.
The church was completed in 1631. At that time it was the largest Protestant church in the world. Its 85 m high “Westertoren” tower, which is the landmark of the Jordan district, is particularly worth seeing. On its tip there is an oversized blue-red-gold crown.
In the rooms of the church, which was completed in 1611, there is now the municipal housing office, as well as exhibitions on architecture and urban planning.
Parks and green spaces
The beginnings of the botanical garden were made over 300 years ago when Dutch doctors planted exotic herbs here. The world’s oldest potted plant can also be found in the garden.
Middenlaan Plantation 2
Mon-Fri 9 am-5pm, Sat and Sun 11 am-5pm (only open until 4pm in winter)
The city forest in the south of Amsterdam is a popular recreational area with an area of over 800 hectares = 8 km². The Amsterdamse Bos was created as part of a job creation scheme in the early 1930s. Countless trees and bushes from different parts of the world have been planted here. You can go boating on the lake. In the Bos Museum you can find out more about the formation of the city forest.
The pretty little park was laid out in the style of an English landscape garden.
Opened in 1877, the 48-hectare park in the style of an English landscape garden was the city’s first public park. In the 1960s it was, among other things, a meeting place for hippies. Today, in addition to the crowded sunbathing lawns, there are, among other things, open-air theaters, the film museum and cafes.
Natura Artis Magistra
Plantage Kerklaan 38-40
Opening times: daily 9 am-6pm (in winter until 5pm)
The beginnings of the zoo go back to the first half of the 19th century, making it the oldest zoo in Europe. It is home to over 450 different species of mammals and around 230 species of fish. The zoo also has a planetarium, as well as a zoological and geological museum.