Albania 1961

By | December 15, 2021

According to the constitution of March 1946 (as amended in July 1950) in the Albanian people’s republic there is a single legislative assembly of 188 deputies (one every 8000 residents) Elected for four years in a single list by all citizens of both the sexes who have reached 18 years of age, with the exception of those who have collaborated with the Germans or with the Italians. But the supreme authority, both of the state and of the single party (Albanian Labor Party, Communist), is the Politburo (9 members, plus 6 candidates).

The administrative division into 10 prefectures has remained unchanged. After the 1941 census, another was carried out on 2 October 1955; it will number 1,394,000 residents The comparison with the census of 1941 (1,105,905 residents) Reveals a very conspicuous increase in the population and this agrees with the data available on the natural increase (27.3 per thousand in 1954; 28.6 in 1955). By June 1958 the population, according to rough calculations, had reached one and a half million residents. Albania remains the least densely populated of the Balkan states. For Albania 2004, please check topb2bwebsites.com.

As is known, the to. she is very divided from the religious point of view. About 7/10 of the population are Muslims; 2/10 Orthodox (autocephalous Albanian Orthodox Church governed by a Synod) and just over a tenth Roman Catholics. Catholicism prevails among the Ghegos of the north. THERE. it is also the seat of the head of the Bektāshī sect of Islam.

Economic conditions. – The economy of the. it is now largely planned. In 1955 arable lands included 376,000 hectares (13.5% of the total area), meadows and pastures 850,000 hectares (29.6%), forests 1,130,000 hectares (39.3%); of the remainder (17.5%) it was estimated that at least one half could be used in some way. The second five-year plan provides for the extension of arable land to 443,000 hectares by 1960.

The main crop is corn which occupies 58% of the arable land but the production (around 150,000 tons) is modest compared to the cultivated area. Wheat occupies 18% and yields around 120-130,000 tons. The production of tobacco, whose cultivation is free, reached 1,100 t in 1957 (much lower than the pre-war average). Among the recently introduced plants, beet can be mentioned, especially in the plain already occupied by Lake Maliq, now reclaimed (9000 t in 1957). Among the tree crops, the first place always goes to the olive tree (3200 t in 1957); the vine is still of modest importance.

The zootechnical patrimony has been declining somewhat since 1946. 650,000 sheep are estimated; 850,000 goats; 430,000 cattle; 125,000 between donkeys, mules and horses. The government favors the increase of this patrimony: the main product is wool (about 22,000 tons of raw wool). In 1957 the timber produced from the forests (oaks, pines, etc.) was calculated at 125,000 m 3. It is not known that fishing (coastal waters, lakes of Shkoder and Ochrida) has made progress.

On the other hand, some increase is found in mining production. The main oil district is that of Kuçovë (Qyteti Stalin), in the Devoli valley, from which an oil pipeline brings the product to Valona. There are two refineries, one in Kuçovë and a more modern (1956) in Cerrik southwest of Elbasan; the capacity of the two plants is expected to be 180,000 tons per year. The most recent statistics then give about 160-165,000 tons of chromium ores (Belcize), 235,000 of coal, 147,000 of lignite. The production of bitumen (Selenizza) and cupriferous pyrites (Rubik sul Mati; very limited production) are of ancient date. The salt pans of Arta near Valona are still in working order.

Three hydroelectric plants are in operation: at M. Daita near Tirana, in Selita, and in the place called Karl Marx, on the Mati, in operation since 1957. Total production in 1957 was 125 million kWh.

The industrial activities, although in slow progress, are still modest: among those that have recently undergone some development we should mention the cement factory (Valona), the cotton and wool factory (Scutari, Tirana), the sugar factory (Malik) and the soap factory.

Commerce and communications. – Commercial relations are essentially directed to the communist states; those with other countries are minimal. Items exported are petroleum, chromium ores, tobacco. For most of the manufactured products of all kinds, the Albania is a customer from abroad. The best equipped port is that of Durres; other ports: Valona, ​​Santi Quaranta (Sarandë) and San Giovanni di Medua (Shëngjin). There are 117 km of railways: Durres-Tirana and Durres-Kavaja-Elbasan. A section is under construction that connects Cerrik with Patos and another from Valona to Mamalia in the Devoli valley. The roads accessible to motor vehicles have a total length which can be calculated at around 2400 km; they are still mostly those built by Italy. Tirana airport is connected to Budapest, Prague and Moscow by Hungarian services,

Finances. – The state exercises control over national resources by means of a special control ministry which, with the law of 1954, was transformed into the State Control Commission. The state budget generally shows a surplus, albeit a small one; gross investments increased significantly, passing from Leks 4.6 billion in 1955 to Leks 9.7 billion in 1958. Bank of issue is the Albanian State Bank, an autonomous state institution with legal personality; In addition to issuing banknotes and metallic money, it manages the state treasury and can undertake all banking and financial transactions. The monetary unit is the lek, the exchange rate of which is set at 1 leik for 2.03 cents US dollar Here (see below) we give the data on the state budget from 1951 to 1959 (as of December 31).

Albania Commerce