The need to maintain the state of hydration is imperative for any type of sport and, in this sense, even the cyclist is no exception.
Cycling is an activity marked by high uptime and a significant exposure to air currents and therefore falls within the sport potentially at risk of dehydration. Hence the need to carry the liquids required for reinstatement, almost always essential for the maintenance of the general welfare, health and, why not, competitive performance.
Bottle is the name of the container transport of fluids with the bicycle. Being cylindrical, vaguely resembling a bottle, the bottle who require a particular: waterbottlesshop.
Features Water Bottle
Being constantly in contact with water or supplements, the bottle must comply with the legislative requirements of security for containers intended for food:
- Maintaining the integrity of the content
- Absence of relevant chemical exchanges with liquid
- Absence of phthalates and bisphenols.
The bottle has a cap, generally wide, threaded and sealed, in turn has a spout reducer (also sealed).
The most popular material for bottles is polyethylene (clear or colored), while the cap is basically made of polypropylene. The glass and aluminium are disused.
The body of the bottle must lend itself to be contested, which is why it is preferable with ergonomic shape.
Of bottles there are several models; we see the major ones:
- Bottle racing bike: small, lightweight, ergonomic, polyethylene and polypropylene, with spouts of drinking it outside
- Mountain bike bottle: like the previous one but sometimes equipped with a nozzle shielding to prevent dirty water and mud of the street
- Bottle cold liquids: heavy, externally insulated internally with polypropylene or polyethylene but nanogel;It is designed primarily to summer. Some have a fabric cover
- Big Bottle: 0.75 to 1.5 litres capacity;is specific for hiking or Sometimes it is necessary to install specific bottle cages
- Bottle hot liquids: for the exits at temperatures below 0°C; stainless steel AISI 304 or 316 are externally and internally insulated with a layer of protection. cap and nozzle can also be in polypropylene
- Bottle biodynamics: designed by Campagnolo in the 80s, is made of plastic and has a slot to insert the hand during the intake; vaguely reminiscent of the container for detergents or fabric softeners and requires a bottle cages.
How to choose the bottle
The purchase of a bottle should be geared to the type of cycling and personal trends. The characteristics to be evaluated prior to purchase are:
- Size: the water bottle must wear a glove, or the risks could be those of: off balance in an attempt to remove it or lose it on the way
- Quality of cap: it is not necessary that resist extreme tightening, but it must be screwed and unscrewing nimbly and keep the liquid inside
- Quality of the spout must be easily removable and lockable with the sole use of the thumb
- Absence of odors as they may contaminate the liquid inside
- Presence of certification: the symbol of suitability for storage of drinks or food is a fork and a glass, while the codes of the materials are: PE, PP, PVC. Should also be indicated the manufacturer, date of manufacture and the possibility or not of washing in the dishwasher.
Where to install the Cages
As anticipated, the cages is the “cage” member of the fastening of the water bottle on the bike.
In fact, by itself, the bottle would not be an exclusive accessory for the bicycle; only thanks to the cages, becomes part of the cycle.
The cages by quality using the individual susceptibility of the frame, consisting of two threaded holes. This is thicker than on the down tube; However, there are also cages with universal mounting, which can be positioned on the seat tube (the central one, where you are mounting the seat) and on the top tube; Sometimes, on the down tube it inserts two.
The cages differ:
- Dimension or diameter (depending on the capacity of the bottle)
- Material (metal or plastic)
- Fixing type (with screws or plastic cable ties or clamps)
- Type of bottle (cylindrical or Campagnolo).
The installation of cages is quite simple: those for the preparation to the chassis are equipped with special holes for the supplied screws, while universal simply assemble correctly the adjustable clamps or cable ties provided.
Prices of cages and bottle will vary depending on the type and range.
However, it is possible to establish that a water bottle and a bottle cages to low range can be purchased for only € 1 or € 2 each, while a full product range high reach 50 €.