Once we have chosen the tent it’s the turn of the sleeping bag. As always the question is when we use? It is not the same sleep in a night of Bierzo spring which make it in the winter rigors of elephants. If ours are winter concentrations we will choose a bag that support low temperatures. If we are going to use only in summer and warm places will help us with a simple and cheap bag.
There are basically two types of sleeping as to how: mummy or rectangular. The first are more efficient from the thermal point of view and the most suitable seconds for the summer for your comfort and freedom of movement.
According to the filling may be down or synthetic. Down bags are hotter than the synthetic and also more expensive. They offer us the maximum shelter with minimum weight. Depending on the quality can lead to a greater or lesser percentage of Eiderdown or duvet (down) mixed with larger pens. Much more down take more capacity insulation will have the SAC. Typically 80% down and 20% feather, expressed in the 80/20 specifications.
Another fact that the manufacturer gives us is the CUIN. This is the relationship between the weight of the filling and their expandability. So, we have bags with 500 CUIN, who have a low ratio between the weight and the expansion to others with 800 in the higher ranges.
Synthetic filling has less durability, weighs more and doesn’t shrink as much as down. To change it is cheaper and still isolating if it is wet. It is usually manufactured in polyester fibers. The DUPONT company, as always, takes the cake in manufacture of this type of fibers. Hollofil, Quallofil or Hollofil II are fibers of Dacron with hollow nanotubes which reduce the weight and improve the insulating capacity. Other brand fibers are Microloft, which is a fiber that is five times thinner than human hair or the Thermolite Extreme, as stronger manufacturing in tissues insulators.
HOECHST CELANESE, manufactures the Polaguard, an insulator hard continuous filament which has been superseded by the Polaguard HV (20% lighter thanks to its hollow core) and by the Polaguard 3D, a 40% higher due to its structure curved triangular.
The Primaloft and Primaloft II are the versions developed by ALBANY INTERNATIONAL, based on short strand polyester, very light and excellent swollen microfibers.
SAC is not itself only, is the user that generates heat and wrapping is in charge of keeping it inside. The two references that are used to find the temperature ranges are comfort and end according to the European standard in-13537 as official not required parameter, not considered the sack as PPE (personal protective equipment). In spite of this serious manufacturers adopt it and meet her so it is not recommended to purchase a bag not showing this standard.
It is not easy to establish exact numbers because the wind chill depends on each person. The degree of fatigue, the outside temperature, body mass… are subjective parameters that cannot be measured.
The data that we offer are referred to outside temperature:
- Tmax: Higher temperatures indicated we are not comfortable heat.
- TComfor: Within this range we will be comfortable and warm. The point is the minimum temperature of comfort (women).
- Tlimit: Below this temperature do not glue eye because we peel us cold (men).
- Textreme: This data should not be confused with “what endures this sack”. It is the temperature below which we will suffer tremors, hypothermia and eventually, death.
Some vendors, very cuckoos, sell us this range end as if we could use the SAC at such low temperatures when it is not true. In the example of the image a woman of 65 kg. you sleep well in that bag up to 4 ° C, below that temperature would start to chatter. A man of medium build endure five degrees less, until one below zero. A from there, cold and uncomfortable. I.e., nothing out of the sporting goods store thinking that we are going to cook us Arguis heat with this bag because no “hold” the 18 below zero.
According to drop a normalillo SAC with 1 kg. fiber is going well to + 10 ° C. If you have 2 kg. the temperature can drop to 0 ° C. In 2 kg. down the temperature on the outside of the bag can drop al – 10 ° C.
The inside layer is polycoton, in the low ranges or tactel pertex in slightly higher ranges. It is soft and light, and is connected to the outer layer, which is typically polyester (quantum, microlight, endurance) with a dithering antidesgarros.
The main problem is that you have to have several “partitions” so that the stuffing stays uniform across the surface and this is achieved based on seams. Seams fill inflation is less and there enters cold. There are three basic types of seams:
- Simple: seams cold, recommended only for summer.
- Double: two layers of woven anti-pluma and two porous tissue. Split inner and outer seams to avoid heat loss.
- In partitions. Two layers of tissue antiplumas connected by strips of porous fabric to mode drawers.
You must always use a mat to insulate from cold and absorb the irregularities of the ground. Auto-hinchables insulating mats to the detriment of the foam or neoprene are recommended by their small size and weight. VAUDE, Term-a-rest, Campz, are just some of the brands available. Their price varies from the 40 to €120 and they are essential for a good night complement.
They have a valve which, when opened, allows that air between the inside to expand the filling of the mat with it any power inflator is not necessary nor get dizzy blowing. They are comfortable, light and isolated from the cold of the ground very effectively.
- Camping with cold is recommended for a range bag medium or high co more than 80% of down. If our overnight will be in summer can opt for a bag lighter and cheap, but always taking into account the minimum temperatures that are reached during the night.
- If we want to move through areas very wet perhaps convenient to opt for a synthetic fill bag because down takes a long time to dry and if it is wet is not effective.
- A bivy cover will protect the sack of dirt and friction.
- A travel will improve the comfort and thermal performance.
- The mat is essential
- It must always be dry.
- Bedtime when one is still hot, before arriving to be dissonant.
- It should not be long in carrying case. It is best to save it in a pillow case in horizontal.
- It must not be washed in dry. Always in delicate programmes and with special detergents for pen. After drained dry in the shade.
If you want to know the best sleeping bags, go to Campingtopgear.